Fall 2021 Theme: Make Believe
Caustic Frolic is seeking fiction, nonfiction, poetry, art, music, digital media, and, new for this year, translations in each of these genres related to the theme Make Believe for our Fall 2021 issue. For this edition, we’re excited about works that make what’s not real, real. Works that imagine. Works that play. We encourage you to interpret the term freely and experimentally, exploring the theme in any way you see fit. Tell us a tale. Tell us a lie. Send us your inventions, your shadow puppets, your imaginary friends. Let’s play pretend.
- The deadline for submissions is October 17, 2021 at 11:59PM EST.
- Please include a separate cover page with your name, telephone number, email address, and a short bio (up to 150 words), as well as social media handles you would like to include. The cover page should be attached as a separate document from your submission(s).
- Do not include any identifying information your submission document(s). All submissions are evaluated anonymously. Identifying information should only be on your cover page.
- Submissions should be no more than 6,000 words.
- Essays should be formatted to follow the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition; please use endnotes, double-spaced, on a separate page following the body of the text.
- All fiction, nonfiction, and poetry submissions must be in .doc or .docx file format.
- All art submissions must be in high-resolution digital format (PSD or PNG files) and provide dimensions of the piece as well as materials/medium employed.
- All translation submissions must include the source language text and a note from the original author granting permission to publish the translation.
- Digital submissions should also be in high-resolution PSD or PNG for images, and AVI, FLV, WMV, MP4, or MOV formats for video content. MP3 or links to Spotify/Soundcloud players are acceptable for music submissions. Digital pieces will only be published on the website.
- For genre nonconforming submissions, submit in any format and we will work out the details on a case-by-case basis. Please feel free to contact Caustic Frolic with any questions.
- We accept submissions in any language, but an English translation must accompany all non-English texts.
- We accept up to 5 pieces per author, but we ask that each submission be attached individually.
All submissions should be sent to email@example.com. Please specify in the Subject of your email the category you are submitting in: fiction, nonfiction, poetry, translation, art, or digital media.