Call for Creative Works on the Theme ‘Coda’ – Fall 2023 Issue
Caustic Frolic is excited to announce our call for submissions for the Fall 2023 issue, centered around the theme of ‘Coda.’ A ‘coda’ is the final movement, the closing statement, the concluding brushstroke. Just as a musical composition finds its resolution in a coda, we invite you to explore the art of resolution, conclusion, and the lingering resonance of ideas.
In music, a coda serves as the grand finale, bringing together the themes that have danced throughout the composition. Similarly, we seek your fiction, nonfiction, poetry, art, music, and digital media submissions that embody the essence of coda. Whether it’s the final chapter of a story, the last lines of a poem, or the visual punctuation in an artwork, we’re eager to experience your interpretation of this powerful theme.
At Caustic Frolic, we’re passionate about pushing creative boundaries. In this issue, we encourage you to deconstruct and redefine the notion of coda. How can the conclusion be a new beginning? How can the final brushstroke contain multitudes? Explore innovative methods of crafting closure, and let your creative expression find its ultimate resolution.
- The submission window for the Fall 2023 ‘Coda’ issue is from September 10 to October 15, 2023, ending at 11:59 PM EST.
- To submit, please send your cover letter WITHIN the body of your email, which includes:
- Your name, telephone number, and email address
- A short bio (up to 150 words)
- Social media handles you’d like to include (beside each handle, indicate “YES” if you allow your work to be featured on our social media, or “NO” if you prefer not to).
- Do not include any identifying information in your submission document(s). All submissions are evaluated anonymously. Identifying details should only appear in your cover letter.
- Submissions should not exceed 6,000 words.
- Essays should be formatted following the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition; please use endnotes, double-spaced, on a separate page after the main text.
- All fiction, nonfiction, and poetry submissions must be in .docx file format.
- Art submissions: high-resolution digital format (PSD or PNG files). Include dimensions and materials/medium used.
- Translation submissions must accompany the source language text and a note from the original author granting permission to publish the translation.
- Digital media: high-resolution PSD or PNG for images. AVI, FLV, WMV, MP4, or MOV formats for videos. MP3 or links to Spotify/Soundcloud players for music submissions. These will only be published on the website.
- Genre non-conforming submissions: Submit in any format, and we’ll work out the specifics on a case-by-case basis. Contact us with any questions.
- We accept submissions in any language, but all non-English texts must include an English translation.
- We accept up to 5 pieces per author, but each submission should be attached individually.
Send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email’s subject line, please include SUBMISSION & Genre.
- For example: SUBMISSION Poetry: TITLE(s).