Fall 2020 Theme: Fever Dream
The phrase “fever dream” refers to a surreal, emotionally intense dream spurred by a high fever—a symptom of illness that leaves one feeling disoriented or even frantic. Various iterations across popular culture, literature, art and music have stretched the phrase “fever dream” to mean more than just a biological phenomenon. A “fever dream” is an experience that disturbs or confuses. It blurs the line between fiction and reality; it makes us question the stability of our physical senses.
Caustic Frolic is seeking fiction, nonfiction, poetry, art, music, and digital media related to the theme of “fever dream” for our Fall 2020 issue. We encourage those submitting to interpret the term liberally and experimentally, drawing on unconscious, semiconscious, and conscious experience in any way you see fit. We want your work to disturb and disorient: to be wild with color and emotion.
- The deadline for submissions is October 2, 2020 at 11:59PM EST.
- Please include a cover page with your name, telephone number, email address, and a short bio (up to 150 words), as well as social media handles you would like to include. The cover page should be attached as a separate document from your submission(s).
- Please do not include any identifying information in the body of your submission(s). All submissions are evaluated anonymously, so identifying information should only appear on your cover page.
- Submissions should be no more than 6,000 words. For non-fiction submissions, please include a 100-200 word abstract.
- Essays should be formatted to follow the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition; please use endnotes, double-spaced, on a separate page following the body of the text.
- All fiction, nonfiction, and poetry submissions must be in .doc or .docx file format.
- All art submissions must be in high-resolution digital format (PSD or PNG files) and provide dimensions of the piece as well as materials/medium employed.
- Digital submissions, which will be published solely on the website, should also be in high-res PSD or PNG for images, while video content should be sent in either AVI, FLV, WMV, MP4, and/or MOV formats. MP3 or links to Spotify/Soundcloud players are acceptable for music submissions. For genre nonconforming submissions: submit whatever format makes sense to you and we will work out the details on a case-by-case basis. Please feel free to contact Caustic Frolicwith any questions.
- We accept submissions in any language, but an English translation must accompany all non-English texts. Non-English submissions will only be published online.
- We accept multiple submissions (up to 5 pieces per author), but we ask that each submission be attached individually.
All submissions should be sent to email@example.com.